Open Space (Technology) as related by Stella Duffy
by Rebecca Sowray
One of those moments when something crosses your path and it is both blinding and obvious.
So I was lucky to see the beautiful Stella Duffy talk about her writing at Gladstone Library a few weeks back. But also she related a few snippets about the above idea.
It’s a way of thinking about meetings and has been taught by various people at different levels. But as a distillation:-
If you are having a meeting then all present assemble the points for discussion, everyone gets their say.
- Whoever comes are the right people
- Whatever happens that is the only thing that could have
- Wherever it happens then that is the right place
- Whenever it starts is the right time (not a reason for being late, just saying that when proper discussion starts, this is when the meeting starts)
- When it’s over, it’s over
- Leave if not engaged – the law of two feet (they have a purpose)
- Be prepared to be surprised
In any meetings there will be bees – the cross pollinators, and butterflies – those who draw people’s attention.